Sunday, August 12, 2007

Thankful for so much...

This morning was a comforting morning. We did receive both good and bad news, but Matthew seemed to be doing well - mornings are the best. He woke up requesting a shower (trust me, this is a first for my 9 year old boy)! We got him all clean, he ate a nice breakfast, and then we decided to go down to 'church'. Primary Children's Hospital offers a 30 minute sacrament meeting. It is such a great service to the families here. Matthew seemed very comforted by this little bit of normalcy. I am not sure I have ever felt the Spirit quite as strongly as I did in that little meeting. As the congregation began singing, "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet', I became overwhelmed with emotion, and comforted at the same time. I was totally unprepared to lose it (i.e. I didn't bring any tissues!) but luckily they line the sides of the chapel with boxes of tissues. It was tremendously comforting to be surrounded with families who also have critically ill children, but also have the same faith as I do. Matthew's spirit has always been bigger than his little body. From a very young age he has received comfort and guidance from Heavenly Father. Now is no different. Matt's faith buoys up my faith, his strength makes me stronger, and his happy demeanor helps me remember to have joy.

Now for the 'news'. The good news is that this morning they were talking about sending him home tomorrow (yea!!!). He needs awhile to heal from the surgery before we begin treating the tumor. I can't tell you how wonderful it sounds to sleep in my own bed, surrounded by all of my boys. I think it would be good for Matt, as well. Now, it has been made clear to me that Oncology may have very different ideas about when it will be appropriate to send him home - they often want to start treatment right away, so we'll see if Neurosurgery wins this particular battle! :-) The bad news is that the MRI they took yesterday (remember, they just got the brain, not the spine) showed seeding in the spinal cord, which they had strongly suspected after the first MRI. We are disappointed and heartsick to know that the tumor has spread. However, Dr. Walker hasn't seen the films yet, and he may still think there's some question.

Thank you all again for all of your prayers on our behalf. It is amazing how comforted I feel.

Love,
Alli

10 comments:

Stacy said...

No matter who is praying at our house, Matthew and your family are remembered. Hugs to you all through this emotional roller coaster.

much love,
Stacy Black and family

Darla said...

Thank you for the updates each day. It helps us feel like we are there with you. Wish we could offer our hugs. We certainly agree with you about Matthew's spirit being bigger than his body. We are thrilled that he may be able to go home for awhile!!
Love you all!
Darla and Shayla

Katie said...

We're praying too. Are things going okay with your pregnancy?

Me said...

My cousin was diagnosed and had surgery for a brain tumor. Different type of cancer (oligoglioma...excuse the spelling) and he's certainly older than your son (he was 30 when diagnosed)...but I wanted to let you know that there was someone else out there who's family has/is going through something similar.

Thankfully my cousin made it through the surgery with flying colors and has now done well with 2 rds of chemo & radiation. Youth is a wonderful thing & I hope it serves your son well too.

Rena (Renald99 from TS...pm if you'd like)

Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alligood said...

Thank you each, for your comments. They encourage me and help me know that our family is not alone. Stacy, and Rena, it's especially nice to hear from those who have been there. Thank you for your thoughts.

My pregnancy is (thankfully) going very well. It's funny, I was feeling very overwhelmed with the normal pregnancy discomforts this time around, but now those all seem to have faded into the background. As long as I remember to eat and try to get some sleep each night, I have been quite comfortable. It's amazing how being so busy helping Matthew has taken my mind off of my physical symptoms of pregnancy. So far everything still looks great!

-Alli

Jessie said...

Thanks for so diligently keeping us posted.
I'm glad you at least know SOMETHING now after waiting and worrying. I know there's a long road ahead of you guys, but we'll all keep praying and you'll endure well I'm sure. We sure love you! And give our love to Julie as well, would you?
Jessie and family

Unknown said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family always.

Ben said...

Our family is praying for you and for Matthew. Matthew, hang in there! Ben has had 2 MRIs to follow an area that was possibly a tumor. Benny empathizes with Matthew. We love you so much and are thinking of you.
Love,
Jenny Agren Barbier and the bunch

Burton Family said...

Dear Allie, Warren, and Boys,
We just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We feel bad that we have not contacted you before this. We have been very concerned for all of you the last couple of weeks. Thank you for letting us be part of your lives. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers.
Love,
Brett, Cristy, & Family