Monday, August 21, 2006

No matter how hot it is, it's not summer anymore

Today was the first day of school for my boys. Matt had a full day. Will went to Kindergarten orientation, and Nate and Drew went to meet their new preschool teacher. It has been a great, but very busy day!


I feel guilt, though, about the lack of organized activities/lessons my kids did this summer. They did, um....., none. No swimming lessons, no tennis lessons, no karate lessons, nothing. They did play T-ball and baseball, but that was more of a spring thing. They ran through the sprinkler a lot, and we did go on several picnics. We ran lots of errands together, and they climbed like little monkeys all over our new playset. Why do I feel like a failure because I didn't have each boy in 2-3 activities? When did our society become so activity oriented? When did our children's summer's get taken away from them? It used to be 20 neighborhood children ranging in age, running around barefoot, and making up their own games. We would go from house to house and play in everyone's backyard. There was little adult interference. I remember returning to school tanned, physically tired, and with an added measure of confidence. I love this quote from Ivy Baker Priest:

"My father had always said there are four things a child needs:
Plenty of love,
Nourishing food,
Regular sleep,
and Lots of soap and water.
After that, what he needs most is some intelligent neglect."

I want my kids to experience the 'intelligent neglect' my parents were able to give me. However, I would have social services called on me, if I did let them roam!

Not that I want our children to be in any danger, of course, it's just that I'm not sure there's anything inherently dangeorus about playing outside in a huge group all over the neighborhood.

I guess I'm just feeling strange because school has started, but I have yet to organize my summer!

No comments: