Friday, September 08, 2006

Pride and Prejudice and Neglecting your house

I have a confession to make: I am a read-a-holic. Whew, that feels good to get off my chest. :-) Nothing makes me feel more like ME, then curling up with a great book and tuning out the rest of the world. Unfortunately, little boys don't take well to being neglected, and my home is in a state of dissaray that reflects my reading compulsion.

This week, I have been reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I just could not put it down! Last weekend Warren and I watched the new version of the movie (well, 1995), and I loved it so much, I decided that I needed to re-read the novel. I guess that when I read it in High School, I wasn't patient enough to enjoy it. All I could think about was the fact that it was written in a strange style, and I remember thinking it was b-o-r-i-n-g. This time, though, I just loved it! I loved the language, the subtle sarcasm, the romance - I loved everything about it! I am embarrassed that I have not fully appreciated Jane Austen up to this point. I look forward to re-reading her other novels with as much enthusiasm!

I am also frequently reading books along with, or pre-reading books for Matthew. He is a voracious reader. He reads very quickly, retains everything, and can read at about an 8th grade level (I am guessing). He loves fantasy books, and I secretly love previewing them for him. :-) Between this and last week, besides Pride and Prejudice, I have also read both Angie Sage books, Magyk and Flyte, and also read the first book in the Gregor the Overlander series. Matt has kept pace with me, reading each of these books right after me.

I guess my home can suffer, if the trade-off is children who love books and reading as much as I do!

No comments: