Dr. Lemons (Matt's oncologist) called today. I wonder if doctors know how much it means to parents when we receive calls at home from them? When any of our doctor's call us personally, they get HUGE POINTS in my book! Anyhow, we talked about Matt's surgery and about 'the plan'. At the next tumor board, Dr.Lemons will present Matt's case and they will decide on chemotherapy agents and discuss radiation. Dr.Walker (the neurosurgeon) said it looked like the chemo was working (YEA!) since the tumor had pulled away from the ventricles and seemed more solid than it had last year. For this reason, I like the thought of Matt remaining on chemotherapy. However, which chemo has been working? He was on Temodar for 6 months and has only had 2 rounds of PCV..... It seems much more likely that the Temodar was the one affecting his tumor. I think that some kids are on PCVT (so Procarbazine, CCNU, Vincristine, and Temodar all at the same time). We'll just have to be patient and see what they recommend!
So, in about 4 weeks we are going in for another MRI to get a baseline of the tumor. This time frame gives any swelling a chance to go down, so we can get a true look at his brain. At that time we will begin chemotherapy again. I am quite excited, though, because this break means Matt gets a gift....... a whole month of SUMMER without worrying about treatments or trips to the hospital. Wooo-Hooo!
Matt is still feeling great. He had labs drawn today and everything was perfect. He didn't want to nap today, and he didn't even take a Tylenol! He insists there is no pain and based on his behavior, I really believe him.