Saturday, December 23, 2006

PC Christmas

So, I'm not sure why it's okay to focus on other holidays in school, but not Christmas? This year my children have become quite educated on Hannukah, Kwanza, and Dawalli (among other holidays). Nate and Drew brought home dreidel's from preschool. It's not that I am opposed to my children becoming more culturally aware, I just can't understand why Christmas and Santa Claus is a forbidden topic.

I purchased a pre-made gingerbread house from Costco. It came in a kit and all you had to do is use the enclosed frosting to put it together, and then use the enclosed candy to decorate it. This year, it is just our speed (in fact Drew is methodically eating all the candy off of it, even as I write this).

In the car, on the way home, Drew was just thrilled that we were going to be making a gingerbread house. He squealed with delight and said,

"Mommy, we will go home and make our gingerbread house for Hannukah!!!"

I guess we need to be better about talking about Christmas at home!:-)


No comments: