Wednesday, September 30, 2009


So, today Mr.Matthew had a full day of doctor visits at PCH. We went to see his opthamologist first. Good news there! Nothing has changed in regards to his vision and eye health. We do have to go get the 'visual fields test' (this checks his peripheral vision), but that is just something they do every so often with Matt, not something that means they are worried something is wrong.

Later this afternoon Matt had another ultrasound on his leg, looking at the clots. Good news there, too, as the clots are GONE! Yippeeeee! The ultrasound was followed up by a visit to the Hematology/Oncology clinic. It was sort of strange to be there for the Hematology side of things, rather than the Oncology side of things! His Doctors said they were pleased with the way things looked, ran more blood work to check his clotting levels, and we were on our way. I'm not sure how much longer Matt will need to remain on the Lovenox. One doctor said maybe as few as three more weeks and the other we saw said 3-6 more months of treatment........ :-) Gotta love the consistency!

Matt also met with his Psychiatrist, Dr.Martini (I have to say, I think it's sort of funny that his psychiatrist is named Dr.Martini........) We are trying a new medication with Matt. The out of control feelings seem to be getting worse, including a few episodes of him losing it and crying at school and also overreacting to things at home. His doctor wanted to try Prozac - we'll see how it goes!

Can I just say that I LOVE my Mom! She is just marvelous! Today she took off work to help me, as Warren is out of town and the boys were all out of school. The initial plan was for all of us to sleep over at her house last night, and then today I would take Matt and Audrey to the appointments and she would keep the other boys at her house. Well, that plan changed when Matt's school called yesterday because he threw up (poor kid!) When I saw him, I thought he didn't look right and so gave him a shot of solu-cortef (this is the hormone your body makes, but Matthew's doesn't, when you are ill or when you have a 'flight or fight' response). He went up to bed and slept for 16 hours, waking up this morning feeling fabulous with no signs of an illness. I don't know if he was truly ill with some sort of 24 hour stomach bug, or if his feeling ill was due to his adrenal insufficiency. Anyhow, we put Matt to bed and didn't go over to grandmas for a sleepover. This morning, as I was getting ready to leave, my mom called and said their water-heater had gone out in the night, so she was without hot water today! Probably not a great day to have all the grandkids! So, instead of keeping my boys at her house, she came with me to Salt Lake. It was actually really fun (well, maybe she doesn't think so!!!) She took the boys to the cafeteria for a donut during the first appointment, then we all went out to lunch. During the 2nd half of the day, they all stayed in the car and watched a movie, and then came in the hospital and hung out waiting for Matt and I to finish (some volunteer took pity on my mother and came around with a cart full of books. Each boy was able to choose one. I love PCH!) My mom is just so amazing, and so good to me! I don't know what I would do without her help - oh, and the boys love her, too!
Thanks mom!


ShEiLa said...

I love good news!

I have been on Prozac for years... after my Mother died I was having more problems. Anxiety, deeper depression and they tried Cymbalta. After a couple years and some blood tests showing changes in my liver I went back to Prozac. I think it is an oldie but goodie if you need help... its my drug of choice.

You are probably saying.... TMI. I don't even know this lady. I worked at an eye doctor's office once... he shared his office on Friday's with an out of town Psychiatrist, Dr. Talbot. He was LDS and I remember him saying once that a little Prozac in the Sacrament water would have done alot of good for alot of people. He was joking... but kind of serious at the same time.


EmilyCC said...

Hooray for 2 extra special moms in this post!

And, I love that the psychiatrist's name is Dr. Martini--there's got to be a joke somewhere about that :)

Tara Bergsjo said...

I am so glad Matt is feeling better! Your really are so blessed to have such a wonderful mom willing to help and spend time with her family! I love reading updates on your beautiful family!!

K said...

Yay for good news! And Allison, your mom is beautiful, and you two look just alike!

Jessie said...

I love your mom, too. I'm so glad you have her to help on days like that.