Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Hmmmmmm....... Do you think it's time for an update?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I'm not quite sure where to begin this update. Lots has happened, most notably Matthew getting his December scans last week. I was so anxious in the days leading up to the MRI's, I think I made myself physically ill. At some point I realized that MRI's have NEVER resulted in good news for Matthew. Initially the scans were for diagnoses (obviously not good news). Then there were more scans that showed the significant seeding and spreading of the tumors into the spine. Then there were scans that confirmed the seeding. Two months ago were the scans that showed the tumors had gotten bigger and were showing more activity, despite the chemotherapy Matthew had been on for two months. No wonder I was feeling so anxious about these! The news we received last week was again a mixed result. Part of the main tumor was larger and part was smaller. Who knows what this means?!? Also, his ventricles were slightly smaller so less hydrocephalus (YEA!!), and the tumor seeding in his spine and brain stem was stable (YEA, again!!!) So, the current plan is to stick with the Temodar for 2 more months and re-scan. Hopefully we will then have a very definite idea if the chemotherapy is effective. Matt just completed his third round of Temodar and again seemed to handle it pretty well. He did throw up a little bit this morning, but insisted he didn't think it would happen anymore and that he felt well enough to go to school. They haven't called yet, so I assume no news is good news!

I am so thankful that we were able to postpone scans until after Christmas. It made for a really nice holiday! Matt felt really well since he was 5 weeks post chemo. Here are some photos from our day.

Christmas Eve in new jammies!

Matt being suprised by his new IPOD

Andrew, Nathan and Warren checking out the race track - the cars are meant to crash!

William with his awesome GI JOE......thingee (thanks uncle Alex!)

Andrew with his new 'Ben 10' watch


For New Years Eve we also had a really fun time. We went up to this mountain resort near our house that Warren and I have talked about checking out for 10 years! They had a room with 3 queen beds, 2 bathrooms, and a separate bedroom. It was perfect for our family. We went up there and the boys swam - there was a jacuzzi with a waterfall along with a pool and a very shallow toddler pool. The boys had a great time. Matthew couldn't swim, because his line can't get wet, but he could sit on the top step of the hot tub or pool. Then we had a fancy dinner at the resort restaurant. The Prime Rib was some of the best I've ever tasted! Afterwards we got into jammies, watched movies, and were all asleep well before midnight! :-)

Last thing, and then I will end this insanely long update! Baby Jake is so stinkin' cute! I thought about posting pictures of him on his own blog, but can't resist putting a few here! He is nearly 2 months old and HUGE! I'm anxious to see how much he has grown since his last doctors appointment!

Here is a good shot of Jake's red hair - and his famous 'Hold to the Rod' pose

One evening Matt asked to hold Jake while I was cooking dinner. I thought it had gotten awfully quiet....

Smiling at Daddy

Check out those cheeks!!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Okay, Jake is so stinkin' cute! I love that he looks so much like his Daddy and his brothers, and I think I can see a little of you in there too Allison! Glad you had a nice Christmas.

Em Russ said...

I've been wondering how you were all doing with new baby Jake! (Please tell me it's easy to have one baby after you've had twins...) Looks like you've had a great Christmas and your boys look so happy. What an incredibly sweet picture of Matt sleeping with the baby!!

Deborah said...

Thanks for the updates. I was wondering what happened to you guys. I guess five boys keep you pretty busy. We loved the pictures of everyone, I can't believe how huge everyone is! Baby Jake looks like the perfect addition to your family.

Mindy said...

I LOVE the picture of Matt and Jake sleeping on the couch. It actually brought tears to my eyes. Maybe because the idea of having someone to take care of your baby while your making dinner. I've been wondering how you all were doing. Looks like your Christmas and New Years were fun and memorable. We keep you all in our prayers, good luck with the next round of treatment and hopefully next MRI will be all good news.

Burton Family said...

It is great to hear from you! We are so glad that you had such a nice Christmas and New Year! We love you all. The pictures are great!
The Burtons

Kristin said...

Wahoo - an update! We love these! The pics are FABULOUS! Glad to hear more details about the scan. Isn't it amazing how quickly life changes?
Love y'all
Kristin

Jessie said...

He IS so stinkin' cute! I love the pictures. You'll have to tell me more info about the resort. Our 5th anniversary is coming up, and it will be the first time we might be able to leave the kids (between pregnancies and nursing, you know the drill).
Glad you're close by now! We'll have to get together soon - when we're done being sick.

OhTheJoys said...

I'm so curious about how Drew handled the cast coming off. My son just had his cast taken off today for the same break - emergency surgery, pins - the whole deal. He's being VERY protective of the arm - to the point of being a little weird honestly. Can you reassure me at all?